An Every Classroom Matters Episode
Jon Schwartz is the California teacher who created Rockademix. He found that Karaoke is an incredible way to teach reading and English as a Second Language (ESL) students. You’ll find so many ideas that you can use to teach reading (and any subject). This method can produce great results! The California state Senate named Jon “Tech Hero of 2011.” If you write music, maybe you should write some for your classroom. If not, start looking for some!
- How a blues song unlocked a child struggling to learn English and how it led to the creation of a company.
- How Karaoke can boost reading.
- Free ways that every child can create music in any classroom.
- How Jon’s classroom transformed when he started using music to teach kids.
- How to engage kids who are struggling readers by using music.
A Peek into Jon’s Classroom
Jon shares the music that started it all and how you can download a free copy of the Constitution song and video with dance moves.
Other ECM Shows on Music
We’ve had quite a few other award winning educators who are demonstrating to all of us how well music works in the classroom! There’s a reason many of us remember the Saturday Morning “Schoolhouse Rock” songs we sang about the US government. “I’m Just a Bill” or “Conjunction Junction, What’s Your Function?”
If you’re struggling to teach something. Find a song! Teachers are writing music everywhere now!
- Jed Dearybury, teacher from South Carolina ECM episode #130
- “Taking Risks to Engage Students” with Scott and Tim Bedley episode #60
Every Classroom Matters is a bi-weekly Radio Show by Vicki Davis on BAM Radio network with best practices for busy teachers. Subscribe.
Show notes prepared by Lisa Durff, Production Coordinator for Every Classroom Matters.
If you need help, use this tutorial.
The post Stop Struggling! Teach English Language Learners with Karaoke! appeared first on Cool Cat Teacher Blog.
from Cool Cat Teacher Blog http://www.coolcatteacher.com/teach-english-language-learners/